Braintrust is on a mission to create and spread economic opportunity more equitably around the world. We were founded by two serial entrepreneurs with multiple exits. To deliver on that mission, we operate the world’s first decentralized talent network, powered by BTRST, our native cryptocurrency token. We’ve already laid some exceptional foundations for growth; In 3 years, we’ve grown our marketplace revenue by 50X. We have 500+ customers including Nestle, Nike, Porsche, Deloitte, Twitter, & Coursera to name a few. We’ve raised $142M in funding from leading Silicon Valley investors including Coatue, Tiger Global, Coinbase Ventures, IDEO, Blockchange, Uprising, True Ventures, Homebrew, ACME + more. We’ve been featured in The New York Times, Fortune, The Wall Street Journal + more
About the role:
As a Sr Data Scientist you’ll spend most of your time working with product managers, designers, and engineering. You will be working together in a small group to launch a new product line. You’ll own validation of our initial set of hypotheses as we experiment to reach product-market fit with this new business line; this includes extracting key data and findings, defining metrics, evaluating product experiments, identifying opportunities based on the data, and sharing new insights that no one considered before. As we scale this new business line, your scope will also include developing statistical, regression, or ML models to help drive business outcomes — examples of this are developing feed ranking models, improving notification relevancy, and leveraging NLP to create scalable moderation systems. These responsibilities will make you an instrumental team member in helping make Braintrust the place to give and get career help. You’ll also be a key hire in building out the Data Science function at Braintrust, consulting with Business Intelligence and Data Engineering to build data infrastructure that will scale as Braintrust continues to grow.
You have a get-it-done, no ego attitude. You’re willing to learn with us, figure it out and bring your enthusiasm and energy to the job. You are curious, collaborative, detail-oriented, and proactive. You aspire to get in at ground floor and grow with Braintrust as we continue to add more data expertise.
- Partner with the organization to define our goals and the portfolio of metrics to measure performance against
- Work closely with a product engineering team to identify important product questions
- Answer product questions by using appropriate statistical techniques on available data
- Communicate findings to product managers and engineers
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Analyze and interpret the results of product experiments
- Build data pipelines and models that enable incisive analyses and performant data visualizations
- Develop best practices for instrumentation and experimentation and communicate those to product engineering teams
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team members, identify and recommend best practices, and help level up overall team capabilities
- Be a champion for Data Science and evidence-based decision-making throughout the organization, educating and advocating for its use
- 4+ years experience at a consumer-facing technology company
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Physics
- Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data (hypothesis testing, power analysis, experimental design)
- A flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
- Experience with data pipeline, from data preparation to analysis to deployment
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Fluency with at least one scripting language such as Python or PHP
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or SAS
- Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
Team and Culture
- We are a mission driven culture composed of ambitious, creative and hard working people.
- We started and will always be a fully distributed team
- We offer unlimited PTO and the flexibility to work wherever and whenever is best for you
- We offer a variety of health, vision, & dental benefit packages, and cover 80% for you, and 50% for your dependents.
- We provide $100/ mo gym & house cleaning stipends as well as $50/mo connectivity stipend
- We provide a $500 annual learning & development, and a $250 technology stipend
Make an Impact
- We’re not going after a small problem or a small market. We’re creating a new economic model for how work gets done globally.
- We believe talent is everywhere but opportunity is not; our ambition is to spread economic opportunity more equitably around the world.
- At Braintrust, the work you do will help accelerate innovation for enterprises, and make a difference in the lives of freelancers.