Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The MITRE Corporation’s Cost & Business Analytics Department is seeking a Web3 Economist to lead economic development of Web3 within MITRE’s Web3 Technical Capability Area. The third generation of the World Wide Web, known as Web3, is expected to bring fundamental change to the internet by using an entirely new technology stack built on blockchain that will integrate information flow and finance as well as enable the generation of more equitable business models.
This department serves as a vanguard for MITRE to meet the future needs of our customers requiring technical excellence while encouraging creativity and fostering interests in the intersection of emerging technologies, cost, business, and economic impacts across its diverse membership. The department is looking to strengthen its focus on economic impacts across our national economy and adding leaders who can help address national-level problems by conducting research, evaluating the impact of emerging tech solutions, and assessing the regulatory and policy environment to remove barriers to adoption and transition. MITRE is seeking an individual with strong expertise in economics and a passion for digital asset and currency capabilities to help shape Web3 for the public good. The position will join a technically diverse and collegial team to work with other economists, energy and environmental engineers, public health scientists, systems engineers, remote sensing analysts and computer scientists to name a few. Necessary skills for this position include risk modeling, econometric analysis, handling and manipulating large data sets, and communicating complex qualitative and quantitative economic concepts effectively. Expect a multi-disciplinary team environment with self-motivated, highly trained professionals. This is a project-oriented position that may require project management, collaboration, communicating to technical and non-technical audiences, and direct sponsor engagement.
- A strong research focus, including relevant recent technical publications
- A proven track record of developing strategic partnerships and actionable strategies with demonstrable outcomes to promote evidence-based decision-making
The Cost and Business Analytics Department is within MITRE’s Center for Acquisition and Management Sciences (CAMS) Innovation Center that solves our FFRDC’s and Sponsor’s problems by leveraging our capabilities within:
- Cost Estimation, Schedule, and Risk Analysis
- Investment Economics & Decision Analysis
- Strategic Business & Financial Analytics
- Specialized Economic Disciplines
The candidate will lead economic analysis within MITRE’s Web3 Technical Capability Area. This includes evaluating the Web3 ecosystem and its value chain of assets and services, existing and proposed models, and vulnerabilities and risks. Key functions include performing qualitative and quantitative analyses and modeling to understand the economic impacts and risks of Web3 and implications of potential options and actions. The Principal Web3 Economist will work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team to build integrated technology and economic solutions, strategies, and expertise to support senior level government officials on the critical challenges and solutions influencing Web3 operations and growth.
The Principal Web3 Economist will be critical to the strategic expansion of MITRE’s Web3 Technical Capability Area, including proposal development, strategy development, analysis, guidance, and recommendations. This position requires self-directed external engagement and outreach to the larger Web3 community. To be successful, the candidate must be adaptable with an ability to quickly learn important aspects of new work areas and develop strategic external partnerships to further the scope and depth of research and outcomes.
Key functions include developing models and performing qualitative and quantitative analyses to understand the economic impact of investments, risk mitigation strategies, options and other government actions
- Engaging with customers to advise and recommend economic metrics, tools, and policies that result in sustainable solutions
- Developing strategic external partnerships to further the scope and depth of applied research and research outcomes
- Economic modeling of integration and/or deployment challenges associated with technology or financing innovations through analytical, experimental, or model-based assessment
- Collecting and analyzing financial, political, and socioeconomic data.
- Conducting surveys and utilizing various sampling techniques.
- Researching various fields related to Web3 technologies
- Making use of historical data.
- Analyzing market trends.
- Bachelor's degree with 10+ years of related experience; or Master's degree with 8+ years of related experience; or PhD with 5+ years of related experience; or equivalent combination of related education and work experience.
- Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
- BA/BS in Economics, Finance, Business, or Operations Research
- Interest and passion in Web3, digital assets, cryptocurrencies, NFTs, and/or DAOs; follows developments and knowledgeable about market players, products, asset classes, and how those trade
- Proven track record of successfully applied economic analysis
- Prior experience with domestic and international policy and investment analysis
- Ability to apply economic theory and principles to emerging domains to address novel challenges
- Strategic thinking and creation of new work areas within the economics arena
- Strong attention to detail and accountability
- Excellent technical writing and oral presentation skills
- Proactive self-starter who executes to commitments and can work collaboratively across diverse teams, departments, and other organizations with varied backgrounds
- Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances
- Experience with digital assets, cryptocurrencies, NFTs, DAOs, DeFi protocols, and/or blockchain applications
- Knowledge of smart contracts, the digital contracts stored on blockchain technology.
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s):
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s):
Subject to all federal and state laws, rules and regulations, MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who are legally entitled to an exemption under applicable laws so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please contact MITRE’s Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at [email protected]
Copyright © 1997-2023, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here